PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest Qf Incident,where Will All This End
Old 11th Jan 2008, 11:42
Roadrunner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forgive me if this has been mentioned, as I have only read about 7 pages of this thread.

I have often wondered why major airlines don't use the expertise at their disposal to come up with a concise, definitive, explanation of exactly what a crew have at their disposal in the event that they end up on basic standby power.
Of course I am talking about more than the basic list given in the systems manual. I have noted over the years how the sections seem to be getting less and less as they amend them.
I used to fly a Boeing in the Middle East and no one really knew for sure if it had the battery mod connecting the APU battery to the main batteries thus giving 90 mins on SBY instead of the normal 30.
I asked if there were any electrics required to run the normal flap/gear extension as I was concerned we might end up at an airfield with depleted batteries after a major electrical fault. It wasn't easy to get an answer and in the end I think the ginger beers said they thought there probably was a need for some electrics for the normal flap extension. The systems section for the 75/767 is now even more basic than it used to be when I first came onto the type.

My point is, why isn't all this stuff worked out for us by the companies and Boeing/ Airbus etc so that we have it all at our fingertips.
Even if there is only a slight chance of such an event, I think a little prescience would go a long way.

If we could get this happening then maybe we should arc up about proper full face Oxygen masks in the cockpit as well. The thought of major smoke in the cockpit with the silly little goggles we now have is of concern to me.

Good luck.