PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2008, 22:20
walter kennedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
added comment

meadowbank
<<Remind me again how many times you've piloted a large military helicopter>>
The reason I post here is to ask those of you who have to consider perspectives that you may have missed - because there sure as hell are a lot of anomalies that should have been addressed by you - and if someone who has not had the priviledge of flying such can pick them out, why can't you?
When a particular point is brought up by a contributor, relating to one of the unexplained parameters, instead of shouting the suggested interpretation down when it is wrong, why not take the prompt and give your understanding of it.
Oh, of course, you did in this instance - the course setting was just a coincidence ...
no hang on, you said <<or decided that setting the bug prior to turning onto a new heading just a few degrees from the one he was on (and for which he would need less than 10 degrees of bank) was unnecessary>>
Er, to me that doesn't make sense - the driver was on 027m, and must have turned the Horizontal Situation Indicator course selector (not the heading bug) - the course selector that your track bars work off when you're referring to a radio navaid or STANS waypoint - a whole 8 degrees. How does not bothering square with that?
I agree that one may not bother with a heading bug for a small turn (as I understand the system, the setting the heading bug will give a recommended angle of bank on the right instrument (AI?)) - I hope you yourself were slightly forgetful and not intentionally misguiding other readers of this thread.
suppose the altimeter settings didn't matter either?
Callsign?
Oh, and I suppose waypoint A was after all just a sloppy effort for the lighthouse.
And I suppose the locals were mistaken about Chinooks landing near waypoint A - none of you has volunteered that this ever happened (although an AVM did, at one of the inquiries as I recall, but not on this thread).
Enough, I think I have done my best to throw some light on this tragedy - it would have been nice to have had a bit more constructive feedback - I believe that there is enough evidence that something else was going on but without help from people like yourselves it is impossible to determine what it was with sufficient credibility to get political support for action.

Last edited by walter kennedy; 10th Jan 2008 at 22:34. Reason: forgot text