PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest Qf Incident,where Will All This End
Old 10th Jan 2008, 21:47
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
It is extraordinary stuff. I have been watching the posts attacking me in relation to my suggestion that a Garmin 296 GPS be carried on Qantas flights – just as I do. Following are some of the comments.

Dick your comments on this matter have clearly demonstrated your shallow view of this industry and a clear lack of understanding of the importance of suitably resourced and competent engineering staff and facilities.
Torqueman, I do have a clear understanding of this, but as the incident occurred there is obviously a problem, and if the incident had occurred over the Pacific at night, I believe the Garmin unit, held near a side window, would have allowed the aircraft to get to a suitable airfield.

DICK: how does your hand held GPS provide you with Att info updated fast enough to fly in IMC with? I'd like to see you try that under the hood.
ACMS, in fact I have, and as shown in an article posted after your comment, it is possible to fly under the hood using the Garmin unit with only GPS inputs, even in a small aircraft. In a larger aircraft with greater inertia it could possibly be even more satisfactory. It would be very simple for Qantas to test this.

Here is a page from the manual:

ACMS also says:

Apart from GS and Alt what ATT info does it give you anyway?
As stated by others (and as stated in my original post) it gives “quite acceptable attitude, climb and descent information as well as groundspeed.”

People are sick to death of hearing people like Dick, who have a reasonable all rounded voice which people are inclined to listen to, comment in such away.
In fact, my comment is “reasonable.” As you would have seen by later posts, the unit is designed for just such a situation as the Qantas crew could have found itself in – i.e. an emergency last resort back up when everything else fails when in IMC.

As I have stated previously, my tests under the hood show that even a helicopter can be flown with this basic information.

If there is a problem with the windscreens of the 747, a simple remote antenna with suction cup could be carried and the antenna could be mounted on the side windscreen of the cockpit. I understand that a Garmin GPS works perfectly well in any airline aircraft with the suction cup antenna mounted on one of the side passenger windows.

ACMS, you kept harping on the following point:

A HANDHELD GPS, OF ANY TYPE, IS NOT DESIGNED TO GIVE ATTITUDE INFORMATION to enable the pilot to fly in cloud.

With all due respect my friend I suggest you stick to fixing the aircraft and we will fly em......ok?
By the sound of it you are a pilot and one of the few pilots with a closed mind. There are a number of handheld units, including the Garmin 296, which are specifically designed to give information that will allow a pilot to fly in cloud in an emergency – the very situation we are referring to. That is exactly why this special page is provided on the Garmin unit. I will repeat – for flying in cloud in an emergency.

From now on when I fly Qantas – and I do often as I still consider it one of the best airlines in the world – I will take my Garmin 296 GPS with me. If ever we have a similar problem I will be able to have it sent to the flight deck!

It is obvious why we can’t upgrade to Class E airspace in the terminal area with such incredible resistance to lateral thinking.

By the way, with all the criticism we have of Qantas (and some of the criticism is well due) at least when problems occur they get publicity in our country. I understand that in some Middle East countries, when there are problems with the airline the media would not actually be game to publicise this – they might end up in prison.

Last edited by Dick Smith; 10th Jan 2008 at 21:57.