PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Random thoughts from the PPRUNE bar....
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2008, 18:45
HELOFAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Random thoughts from the PPRUNE bar....

Why isn't there a web site that shows what countries fly under which flight rules E.G., FAA, CAA, CASA, JAA etc?

Simply type in a country ( or click ) and it shows all, or select the flight rules and it shows the countries that accept it, a little bonus there would be to show you what it would take to cross over using one type of rules to another.

That would be nice wouldn't it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also ever wondered how a set of limits are imposed on a components life?

for E.G., Its a beautiful sunny day & your flying along just you and your instructor when suddenly he unleashes a throttle chop on you.

"" your inner voice says " me, me"

"NICE ONE" you calmly say to your tormentor... I mean instructor, as though to throw him off noticing the stench erupting from your side of the cockpit, As you jam down the collective & mash in right pedal, all the little reminders pop in your head like airspeed and attitude and where am I putting it down this time?
And hey..why not make a quick call to someone that cares & let them know that you may not be returning the aircraft to the airport today......wind wind..where is the bloody wind from & don't forget to check the collective just before you flare to avoid over speeding the rotor head, gear box & rotors .....

"Hmm" you think to yourself as you are madly trying to keep everything spinning the way the designers intended...

" I wonder what the actual RPM limit is on the rotor head before the bearings explode into tiny fragmented pieces of shrapnel, just seconds before the head detaches itself from the mast , taking the over sped rotors with it into another direction than the rest of the fuselage is heading thus ending my flight earlier than intended?"

I also wonder how long it is tested for and at what incremented RPM's and then do they just crank up the RPM's on a brand new one at a constant rate until it explodes....I mean fails.

And how many times can it be taken to X RPM until if fails at a normal RPM due to over stress from too many over speeds?

I wonder indeed , and also if these limits can be found on the internet anywhere and are there any videos of this destructive testing?

Would the manufacturers actually show this info to the public as I find this sort of info quite interesting let alone valuable and entertaining but I bet its a liability thing or something of the sort.

Then it makes me wonder how they test the rest of the components and where the heck could one view this sort of carnage being performed in the name of interests in safety?

I mean if we can watch braking tests & wing deflection tests on the A380 aibus, why cant we watch helicopter components being broken too?

Take a seat, first beer is on me.

HF