PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - London City problem
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2008, 14:03
gone till november

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ye Olde Pilot

Let me shed a few fact about the Hawker 800 and especially the XPC with the Collins Proline 21 avionics suite as DRQ has.

When the comparitors sense an imbalance an amber HDG symbol appears on both EFIS panels. This usually appears when you come off at 'Kilo ' and hold at 'Mike' on runway 28. You can see the railway lines and NJE like most companies have procedures to combat this, which is essentially to turn the HDG slew on and then line up, slew it to the Rwy Magnetic Heading turn off the slew mode check them and if the amber warning has gone and hdgs match you bugger off.

Some times as has happened to me despite doing all of the above it can come on in the air which means you have lost your ability to control the a/c heading through the autopilot. The aircraft will happily follow the SID and entire flight plan route faithfully until ATC asks you to fly a HDG.

As the crew had no pax, whoops, sorry.... "owners", on board and assuming the WX was fine i think they did the right thing. Maybe they could have gone to LTN but with all those heading changes it was probably better to recover it into LCY but i wasn't there.

This story in my mind doesn't really have any balls.No fire engines no Mayday no dead bodies. Its a fact of life operating out of LCY and at the end of the day we can always go back to a bit of stick and rudder and give george the day off.

P7lot

Five bars? Pah! were getting a new uniform and the word is that its all gold with six blue stripes