PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What'd it take to get YOU up in a microlight
Old 10th Jan 2008, 07:33
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
First microlight I tried after years of Cessna 150-ing was a Cyclone AX3. I was a bit dubious as to the integrity of the airframe but the pilot, Bill Sherlock, who was also the importer, went to pains to point out the tubular alloy structure consisted of triangles, hence although very light it was extremley rigid. The AX3 is 3 -axis, not very fast (about 60kt cruise one up) but it's great fun doing STOL operations. One day I taxied out with a wind at 30 deg to the runway gusting to about 25kt; I lined up diagonal to the runway, started easing the throttle open, and thought 'this is smooth', then realised I was already airborne before the ASI was reading at about 3/4 throttle - ground run must have been about 20ft! It was great for curving 'Spitfire type' approaches too, especially where it was necessary to avoid local NIMBY houses while landing on a marked runway; end of the downwind leg 500ft agl, partially shut the throttle, and when the threshold was below and just behind the trailing edge of the wing, start a rate 1/2 turn towards the runway.