PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - reversers vs brakes
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2008, 00:51
PantLoad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting thread...

Of course, your company's SOP is what matters...nothing else.

At my company, the 'normal' landing uses max reverse thrust...sans local noise requirements and any other special airport requirements, MEL, non-normals, etc.. However, it IS in our SOP that the captain can elect to use idle reverse, if he feels conditions are such that it is prudent to do so.

Interestingly, we are required to use autobrake on every landing (except for MEL and other situations that require otherwise). The logic is that, with carbon brakes, the number of brake applications, primarily, determines brake wear. And, by requiring autobrakes on every landing, ostensibly only one brake application is used for each landing.

Personally, I use max reverse on every landing, except where prohibited (as stated above). However, I've noticed...and this is just a non-scientific observation...that the leading edges of the engine fan blades seem to get less chewed up when guys use idle reverse. (I may be totally full of XXXX on this one...so, I qualify this...feel free to take pot shots at me!) Most of us try to do rolling takeoffs for this reason, as well.

Fly safe,

PantLoad