PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LEEDS - 4
Thread: LEEDS - 4
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2008, 21:23
BYALPHAINDIA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MightyMouse and ByAlphaIndia- have you read the comments on pages 10 and 11? Post 200 pointed out that aeroplanes weren't diverting. They are. How can people who find the place convenient or like working there understand that as an airport, this place is as deadly as Congonhas. Horrid small rough-as-hell runway, it's going to kill people when they go charging off the end of 14. Such airports shouldn't be licensed, and the fact that some idiot company was willing to pay a fortune for a totally inadequate airport should not be seen as official endorsement that 'it's OK'. It's not, and the way ahead is to cut and run, not give this place artificial life that it cannot sustain. Any investment is doomed to failure. It's not an attack on the North, or Yorkshire, it's the truth. There are voices that nobody listens to. It cannot support longhaul, even if it is possible to stretch the runway, either direction it's a dud. If only they would have the courage to cut and run- it would prevent people saying for the next 30 years 'why have MAN done so well, and Doncaster, and Leeds has just bumbled along?' Because the place is hopeless!

Rainbow, I understand what you are saying, But I wouldn't give up on Yeadon International Airport.

Like I have already said in previous posts, The main problem with the Airport is the selling side - The Airport does not do hard sell, It does not
do deals with Airlines eg Landing/Parking fees.

If the Airport was a bit more 'neogotiating' then we would see more business coming in, U2 - Easy approached them years ago before LIV and put its plans on the table - But no no deals would be done whatsoever.

The reason a deal was not done, Was because the Airport was 'frightened' to death of upsetting BD & Air UK the only 2 Airlines operating schedules at the time, Easy would have doubled their Pax figures in the 1st year.

Easy had planned to base upto 4 Aircraft there, But it needed a cost deal to be arranged on the Landing/Parking fees, It was the only viable way for Easy.

In the end the Airport did what it thought was best, And lost Easy to LIV.

I think the only way forward for this Yorkshire Airport is to get a whole new sales/marketing team in, Hard sell, Negotiate with Operators/ Airlines
Keep the current residents happy - Jet2- But not 'Babysit' them, And have a more 'Hungry' approach to driving the Airport forward.

Im afraid an Airport that has the 'Old Fashioned' style of no Bargaining will not expand anymore, In my opinion Bridgepoint should bring in a whole new 'Team' and brush away the cobwebs of an Airport typically engraved in it's outdated, Non approachable way of working that it has unfortunately had over the past 40 years.