PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Virgin Strike (or not-actually-a-strike) Thread III
Old 9th Jan 2008, 19:03
vs_lhr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about not being paid when we have landed and no transport turns up to take us back to LGW or LHR. The other week the crew and I waited almost 1hr waiting for a bus from the aircraft to take us back Queens building. Sat in the cold in the stairwell of a jetway and not being paid. One of the many things Virgin need to sort out.
Well, I agree VS shouldn't be leaving you hanging around for an hour, but again not a great example as you're just waiting for transport rather than working. The analogy would be the thousands (millions?) of commuters who have to stand in the rain on train platforms through the constant delays to the laughable public transport service we have in this country.

These last 2 examples would be directly addresses if trip pay and allowances were combined and the resultant financial pot paid in reflection to duty periods, not just flying duty periods.
That makes more sense to me, although I don't think the 2 examples given are the best arguments for any changes. The way the rest of industry works is that (depending on the type of contract), overtime would generally be paid when the company has requested staff work extra hours. That said, there is also a growing trend in employment contracts to state 'whatever extra hours are necessary to perform the full functions of the role' alongside the normal working hours, which basically means if you need to work late to get the job done, you don't get any extra for it.