PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - reversers vs brakes
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2008, 15:22
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally require (classroom, simulator or line) the deployment of reversers (even if only at idle) to cancel the "residual thrust" of engines. On the 747s, we use minimum brakes on dry runways, and medium brakes on wet runways. Landing without reversers deployed is against our SOPs. They stay deployed (at idle) until about to start the turnoff. We also recommend to use full length of the concrete... no hurry to get these "high speed" turnoffs, we much prefer to add 1/10th of flight pay for taxi-in time.
xxx
Old military habit... I still do aerodynamic braking as well. My privilege, thanks to my position and seniority... I hear some of you objecting "you will hit the tail, one day"... Well, in about 22,500 hrs of flying, including stretched DC-8s, I never scraped the tail, and with only a few months left in my career, unlikely I will do... knock on wood.
xxx
In 90% of my landings (all are on 10,000+ feet long runways), I guarantee that I turn off at the end of the runway without use of brakes, as I disconnect autobrakes, after satisfactory touchdown on dry runways. Brakes remain cold, put your hands on them, if you do not believe me.
xxx
And as far as "medium breaks" are concerned, they are 15 minutes long for classroom/simulator sessions.
xxx

Happy contrails