PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Central Serous Retinopathy
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2008, 14:13
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Central Serous Retinopathy

I've been going through this for the second time now and wanted to bring it back to people's attention as most threads are a few years old.

It's quite prevalent in pilots because apparently we get stressed. I'm pretty laid back so was quite surprised when my doc told me this. Then I appraised my life and realised that buying a house, starting a small business, working hard at the gym and a few other things probably meant that I was working too hard. That was in 2005.

Now I've been off flying for five months. I had Photo Dynamic Therapy (PDT) after four months but I got the shock of my life when my eyesight didn't return to completely what it was before. Prior to getting it again I was corrected to 6/5. Now, seven weeks after PDT I can just 6/9 and the prognosis is that it won't improve beyond that. I find out in the next few days if a new prescription will sort it out; or whether there is either another seperate leak that they didn't find the first time; or whether this is farewell to the aviation game!

PDT is photodynamic therapy. Light reactive dye into the blood and a 'cold' laser on the leak. It's supposedly much better than a hot laser in that there is not other tissue damaged and significantly reduced risk of a blind spot. Painless apart from having a lens on your eyeball for 83 seconds or however long it is.

This is one of the better web sites I've found on both CSR and PDT.

http://www.eyesurgeonsofindiana.com/central_serous.htm

Hope none of you have to deal with it but enjoy the time off with your family if you do! It's been a wonderful 'holiday' apart from the stress of not knowing if I'll go back to work. I did find it ironic when the doc told me to relax and take it easy and enjoy life and my response was 'you tell me I can't do my job, can't fly, can't earn my normal wage but you want me to relax and not stress?'