PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Virgin Strike (or not-actually-a-strike) Thread III
Old 9th Jan 2008, 09:29
scoobydooo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MagicE, good spot

From what has been posted above, doest it not mean that Virgin has to reduce the amount of flights going crew down by 50%. If they dont then they have to up the crew down payments.

Unless average sickness is above 6.49% in which case nothing changes.

This gives me the impression that its not sickness that is causing most of the trouble regarding crew down but something the company is doing, perhaps not rostering enough crew for each flight.

Then again maybe the current sickness average is way above 6.49% (does anyone have the figure?). In which case this seems fair to me!!!
I missed the word "NOT", you are correct it is VAA who have to reduce sickness by 50% and if it fails to do so it will increase crew down payments, unless sickness is over 6.49%. I wonder what's cheaper for the company to increase crew down payments or run undercrewed ?

So what we need is to know "NOW" what the sickness was last year in that period and likewise what the average sickness was in that period and in the last few quarters to know if the numbers are realistic.

As for sickness, the old system showed no regard for genuine sickness and encouraged flying whilst unwell. It really is only through equally balanced trip pay and a revamp of allowances that I feel any changes will be seen.

I also agree with 016 that we all need protection by a union, but for any negotiating we need that move to be acknowledged and honoured by the company. protection is the key thing so leaving unite now and joining Bassa or a.n. other union would cover us, it would also show 2 fingers to unite.

Why dont we setup a group, nominate a team who can speak to the management on our behalf's and seek a guarantee from management that if X percentage/number of CSS's leave unite and join another union e.g. BASSA they will recognise BASSA for css's and fsm and allow future negotiations on our behalf through this new channel. I cant see why they would object, they must be as miffed with unite as we are.

n.b. I know Bassa is BA only, ar there any other options ? if we joined t&g that is just unite again right ?

Last edited by scoobydooo; 9th Jan 2008 at 10:54.