PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USB hub
Thread: USB hub
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2008, 08:59
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input, everyone.

Orac, as far as I can tell, that screen will only tell you about the controller, e.g. the USB card which plugs into the PCI slot in the PC. Assuming the card supports USB 2.0, is there a way of finding out about a hub which is plugged into a USB port on that card?

I think I will probably end up going for the suck-it-and-see method, I will buy the TV stick and see if it works, and make sure I have some spare cash to buy a new hub if necessary.

(Saab - completely unrelated to my original question, but thanks for point out cable lengths. I didn't know about the 5m limit when I set up my current cable, which is about 7m long, but I had found out about it since. I have a powered hub at the end of this 7m cable. My reading of various documents suggests that, since it works fine at the moment, it will continue to work whatever I plug into the hub. The hub is obviously able to reply to messages within 1500ns or it wouldn't work with the devices already plugged into it; adding extra devices, as far as I can tell, wouldn't make it less able to reply in the same time. And reduced voltage isn't a problem for the devices since the hub is powered. But I am prepared to add a repeater hub if necessary.....)

FFF
------------------