PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Virgin Strike (or not-actually-a-strike) Thread III
Old 9th Jan 2008, 00:02
016FSM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, I really think that everyone should belong to the union, if not so that they can vote in events like this, but to protect and help them should they need legal representation at any time. There are so many things that can happen to us when flying and the company will not be so quick to stand by you should you be attacked during a flight, that has happened as you may remember to one of our crew many years ago and the company didn't want to know!!!! Or if you sustain an injury or a multitude of other incidents which may require you to take legal action to protect your own interests. In this event, you're stuffed if you're not in the union unless you have enough money to pay for legal representation yourself!!

Also, I totally agree that negotiations for FSM's/CSS's should be kept separate from those for junior and senior crew. And I think it's time to look elsewhere for a union that can better represent us and who will never allow a fiasco like the one that has been going on for the last few months between the company, its employees AND its union reps!!

Sorry, edited to also say, I think one of the reasons for such high sickness levels, is because 5 and sometimes 6 flights a month every month is just TOOOOOOOOOOOO much!! How long can anyone work like that without needing a decent break!! When I was a junior/senior and CSS, it was RARE to get 5 flights on your roster, now it's rare to get any less. I think they pushed for 5 or 6 flights for full time crew so that they could justify giving the part timers 3. With regard to not crewing flights sufficiently, It also amazes me how frequently I am told that they dont have anyone on standby to call out when my flights are crew down!!

And are we the only company whose crew can end up flying both Christmas AND New Year for 3 consequetive years!!! er Hello, and they wonder why people go sick!!!