PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Virgin Strike (or not-actually-a-strike) Thread III
Old 8th Jan 2008, 18:52
pokergirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our Ref: BB/KN
08 January 2008

To: All Unite Cabin Crew Members at Virgin Atlantic

Dear Colleague,

I am writing to inform you that as a result of further discussions with Virgin Atlantic, Unite has taken the decision to accept an amended offer by the company. This means that the Industrial Action planned for 9th, 10th, 16th and 17th January 2008 is to be cancelled.

The enclosed document sets out the detail of the agreement. In support of the decision by Unite to accept the amended offer, I will outline the principle reasons in making our decision, which are as follows:-

· As you are aware, the increases for Year 2 of the deal were calculated on an assumption of RPI being 3.5%. Having now taken the opportunity to revisit this figure, RPI currently sits at 4.3%. If this figure remains until March 2008, it will mean that coupled with the 4.8% achieved in Year 1, basic salaries could see an overall increase in excess of 9% from 1st April 2008. I will once again state that this is the highest basic increase negotiated for Cabin Crew in the UK.

· The commitment to restructure Trip Pay with an implementation date of 1st April 2009 is seen as the most appropriate way in which to recognise reward for flight duty periods. All Unite members will be given the opportunity to decide on the new structure, with the outcomes being published in December 2008.

· The subject of Crew Down Payments was explored, with the details of the new proposals being included in the attached document. I believe there is now scope to improve the level of Crew Down during the forthcoming period.

· The principle of reviewing the consultative structure, with the sincere intention of improving the employer/employee relationship, was one of the most important items discussed. The inability to resolve employment related matters has been a major source of discontent with Unite members. However, the timescale agreed between Unite and VAA for the review to take place demonstrates the commitment by the parties to make the necessary changes.

In addition to the above, I was also acutely aware of the difficulties Unite members faced while participating in the proposed Industrial Action. A number of factors were considered including the complexity of the Cabin Crew Roster, the legal advice relating to Crew Down Route and the genuine belief that Unite was not prepared to see what would have been a minority of our good members severely disadvantaged by their participation in the action.

The actions of Unite in reaching agreement with the company may be unpopular, but given the developing situation, I believe that it was the correct way in which to resolve the current impasse. I am sure that the majority of our 3,500 members will understand and agree with the decision.

Finally, I would like to take this opportunity to thank Unite Regional Officer, Dave Kelly, and every one of your Workforce Reps for their dedication and commitment throughout this process. This agreement offers all Unite members the opportunity to build on what we have achieved so far. Please make sure you continue to support Unite.

Yours sincerely,

Brian Boyd

cant seem to get the full agreement to copy it keeps coming thru in codes

Last edited by pokergirl; 8th Jan 2008 at 18:53. Reason: adding