PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS interview process
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2008, 13:02
Amenhotep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stage 1

I attended my first stage yesterday. Not what I expected. There must have been about 25 of us there. Because, like others, I got there an hour early, I got a decent sofa seat in the waiting room. I strongly advise others going for their stage one to get there early to get a comfy seat.

I'd travelled there the previous day (sunday) and asked reception where I was expected to present myself on the day. The receptionist had never heard of NATS so I assumed she was a weekender. The next day they sounded more informed and directed me to the second floor. Each floor, it turns out, has a little reception desk, and waiting area where we all were.

We were split into two groups. Mine attended a small talk by Steve and Mike, both experienced ATCOs where you have the opportunity to listen to what ATC is like from the horse’s mouth and ask as many questions as you wish within 45mins. This isn’t assessed as goes a lot quicker than I would have liked. But then again, had it been left up to me, I’d have talked to them all day. Besides, since I had already visited Heathrow tower and Swanwick centre and had read through MATS part-1 50 times, I pretty much knew everything that had been said . They even showed us a tabulated printout of the salary we can expect to get throughout our careers. Turns out, I already have this too, LOL . You’ll need to subtly steer the conversation that way and ask for it when you visit Swanwick if you want a copy.

I’m thankful I did this part before the tests as it helped me to relax. The most important thing you could do to help yourself, I found, was to relax. That’s why you need to get there early and talk to the other applicants to help ease the tension. Also, drink lots (of water, cheeky) and don’t expect to finish the tests. You won’t. Not only is it difficult, but I’m pretty sure it’s impossible.

Next I did the motivation test followed by the personality questionnaire (don’t want to call it a test). I have to say, I was very disappointed with the test. I had learned the motivation paper given to us back to front, including the data about the aircraft IN ITS ENTIRETY. And it turns out it is only there to give us the gist about aircraft. Never mind, I don’t regret having prepared so thoroughly. Unfortunately, I read in previous threads that all the answers are in the motivation paper. This isn’t entirely true. You’ll need to prepare for speed/distance/time questions and distance estimation questions on top of the preparation material. Nowhere in the text did it say what the distance between London and New-York is. I’m sorry, I’m ranting. If you must know, it’s because I know I’ve got that question wrong, lol ! This part is timed (40 questions/18 minutes). I finish with plenty of time to spare. PREPARE!

Next came the personality questionnaire. 40 questions, not timed. I was the last to finish. Not very pleasant. Questions repeat themselves and you’re expected to be black or white. Either you are obsessed with past mistakes unable to move on, or you can’t stop looking ahead, never focussing on the task at hand. And if you choose a balance, you can then be accused of lying. They ask you to be as honest “as possible”. I’m sure that is because they know it’s not possible to be honest given the options you’re given.

A short coffee break.

Then comes the REAL testing tests by a psychologist. First a basic checking test. Find which numbers on the left matches the one on the right. (40 questions/5 minutes). Speed and accuracy conflict here. Sounds easy but as the test goes on the numbers get longer and longer. Then another identical test but with letters instead of numbers. I’m a physics graduate and I got through 75% of it. The banking guy next to me did just as badly. Or just as well. Half full or half empty? Lol.

Then that diagram test shown in the preparation material. Except all the “commands” were different and there were about ten of them. Again, the test start easy and progressively becomes your worst nightmare. If you don’t hear from me again, I’m pretty sure it’s because of this part.
Finally, the cube thing. Three cubes laid out flat. Each one laid out differently and each one comes with a set of 20 questions with examples of other 3D cubes. You have to say which, if any, of the choices correspond to the flat cube. Not only are the two last cubes not laid out in the traditional cross shape but one cube had two identical sides and the 3D cubes towards the end were also rotated so you had to (in your head) rotate the entire flat cube in your head before (in your head) folding it together. Only to work out that none of the cubes correspond.

Then you go home. You get the results in about 15 working days. It’s tough. I suggest taking the following day off work as well, like I did. And drink a mug of hot chocolate.

Any questions?

Sorry for such a long post but I like being thorough and I thought it needed updating.

Last edited by Amenhotep; 8th Jan 2008 at 13:04. Reason: Typos.