PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS Electronic strips
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2008, 09:47
Dan Dare

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EFPS is the name used by nats specifically for the NavCanada Electronic Flight Progress Strip system, which is in use at (most) London Airports and coming to a nats aiport near you - yes even the ice station.

I do not think that AC use EFPS, they have a slightly different electronic data transfer system, however they have had representatives assessing EFPS for suitability...

ALL major ATC units will eventually be using some for of electronic data presentation - even TC!. It is a matter of economics. Management believe that a $multimillion computer system is cheaper than a fleet of ATSAs and do not understand the added value that an experienced ATSA brings - I can think of many ocations where an alert ATSA has saved the day, not something I can say of the current version of EFPS by a long shot. Electronic data transfer will, however, eventually also lend itself very well to the introdiction of Collaborative Decission Making (CDM), which as a concept should make the whole aviation system run very much more smoothly using real-time data for the whole flight including readiness on the stand to get better use of those limited resources that we keep running out of (you know - airspace; runway capacity; parking stands etc).