PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is the standard price usually for a PPL(H)?
Old 8th Jan 2008, 06:55
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On hours to PPL(H)....

Almost no-one does it in 45 hours. That is a LEGAL minimum, ie if you're a natural pilot, learning on an intensive course, who has a CPL(A), has been a passenger who's handled the controls many times in a helicopter, has flown radio-controlled models, and drives a JCB or forklift truck for a living (coordination is similar) the CAA won't make you do more than 45 hours!

The national average is 60-70, I think. Haing said that, I do know one or two schools who try to push people through in 45. A few make it, but I personally know of two who did who felt they were rushed and didn't learn enough. I also know an instructor who thinks the legal minimum should be increased to 70 hours, for safety. Budget for 60, and if you do it in less...well, you want to fly after getting your licence, don't you?

On clothing...

It's down to personal choice and relative risk. I don't wear a nomex suit in my car, and I don't in my helicopter. However, if I was flying commercially low level all day, I might think about some kind of protection. But that's me. If you'd rather have extra safety when learning to hover, don't worry who laughs at you. But make sure you're comfortable, whatever you wear, as learning to fly is hard work.

Have fun.