PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Virgin Strike (or not-actually-a-strike) Thread III
Old 8th Jan 2008, 00:24
yamaha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@vs_lhr
You can afford to take that stance because of unions not in spite of them. Your basic terms and conditions are either directly or indirectly because of unions.

But I do agree with you that unions have left a bad taste in many mouths the past decades. Had you read my previous posts I mentioned that money wasn't everything.

That said the fact remains that if you wish to improve the whole terms and conditions package wherever you may work, it can only be done through unionisation and it can only be effectively achieved if the bulk of the workforce are unionised. The key, as now is knowing how and when to exercise the right to strike correctly.

Yes, perhaps I am unable to extort quite as much from my employer as you; and it's a pity that because of unions only certain sections of the company get a pay rise, but I sleep happy in my bed knowing I'm not the one stealing bread out of the mouths of my colleagues (plus the fact I was happy to accept the salary with the job - of course I'd like more, but don't see unions as the way to achieve it.) It would be rather nice if you could respect that opinion rather than insisting I 'get unionised'
Your last paragraph is unfortunately nonsense.