PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Officer Windsor anyone?
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2008, 17:31
Mike Oxmels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BBC:
"We have adapted the course and we have cut out anything superfluous to his specific needs because we're not teaching him to be an operational pilot - we're teaching him to be a competent pilot," Sqn Ldr Marsh said
One might interpret that as suggesting that operational pilots are not competent pilots! I know that's not what he meant and what he does mean seems quite reasonable BUT according to QRs that does not qualify you to be issued your wings let alone retain them (that I believe is CR or 1 year productive service).

So the question is: are QRs getting a good ignoring in this case or is there another QR that exempts HRHs / HM from the normal regulations, equivalent to Crown Immunity in law? I have no particular objection to Willy having a shot at the RAF and collecting a badge (along with firelighting and knots) but I'd be interested to know how the Airships are justifying it.

As far as see I can see, there is no provision in QRs for the issue and retention of wings as a result of 'custom courses' and PMA are not normally known for their flexibilty, helpfulness and lateral thinking. There have been a great many pilot's chopped more than 4 months into training who by S/L Marsh's logic must also be 'competent pilots' and by Willy's precedent entitled to wings!