PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More on the Speed of Thought
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2001, 15:36
KIFIS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grainger and Stagger:
I have to agree with Gaunty that your assumptions are based on the fact that neuronal activity is a requirement for thought. Perhaps thought does not require that ever so slow process involving ions and membranes and if you accept this then it is a distinct possibility that thought could exceed the speed of light. Icarus raises a very interesting question when he asks if , quote: “ Are thoughts objects ? “ unquote. If thoughts are not objects then the old formula does not apply and the argument for the speed of light is enhanced.

Icarus:
You’ve managed to put into good prose exactly what I was trying to say. I feel Grainger and Stagger are referring to the chemical process. I think of thought as an entirely enclosed reaction. I don’t know where it’s enclosed or how it’s enclosed but I do know it’s awfully fast. To include consciousness as you suggest may make a difficult issue even more complicated.

Gaunty:
You are possibly right, we may have met, especially if you flew in South East Asia.
It’s a small world that we of aviation are privileged to be part of.

KIFIS

P.S. Icarus: I wrote this just before reading your latest and I am impressed but I am not enlighten. It's kind of baffling but you've got me thinking.