PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair landings
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2008, 21:24
rmac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tightslot

I don't see anything in your post that I could possibly construe as a personal attack.

I've seen my ATPL friends (one an ex SF C130 pilot, now flying 320's for a large UK carrier, who's blushes I shall spare) who haven't flown GA sized aircraft for years, try to land my Crusader (light twin 2500kg MTOW) and flare ridiculously high while leaving just enough power dialled in to keep us flying ten feet off the runway As I have indicated, motor skills, muscle memory and perception, at the point of arrival they subconsciously reverted to their airliner technique. I am sure they could have as much fun with me in a 737. The physiology behind it is all fairly basic stuff, not a great black art far from the understanding of mortals.

Slim

I wrote, and you quoted "if", and I assure you it is very much an "if", not an indictment.

I also wrote "methinks thou dost protest too much" as a comment of some who bite too hard on a non pilots casual comment, as I have read from time to time.

As I further commented, there is a difference between a firm landing and a carrier deck one, would you not agree? I would suggest that a well travelled intelligent individual would have established enough memory and perception of many landings, to recognise if one may have been harder than the others ? I've travelled commercially for a decade for hundreds of thousands of miles a year, and there have been two landings only in that time that have made me think, "they must have broken something", but then I rarely travel with locos, so I have no basis for comparison and cannot help there.

In the words of Tight Slot, please do not construe this as any kind of personal attack, its meant to be food for thought.