PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Amusing and curious incidents as a passenger.
Old 6th Jan 2008, 14:18
barry lloyd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Soon after the fall of Communism, I found myself on a flight - I won't name the carrier, but it wasn't Aeroflot - from Vnukovo (Moscow) to Ekaterinberg. It was -15C outside, and thankfully, some time had been spent in de-icing the aircraft, an IL-86. During this time, the CC came round with a trolley, flogging booze, soft drinks and sandwiches, which from the look of them had been made at home. I had the distinct impression that the whole thing was a bit of private enterprise, because there were no serious catering facilities at VNO in those days. The aircraft started up and began to taxy to the holding point. The CC were deeply immersed in their work, and did not realise the captain was making a rolling take off. As the aircraft climbed out, realisation began to dawn on them, but it was too late. Gravity forced the trolley to rear of the aircraft (where I was seated), whereupon the CC lost control of both it and its contents. (For those not familiar with the IL-86, you enter the aircraft by a door in the belly, where there is a baggage storage area. You then take the stairs into the cabin). The trolley finished up at the bottom of the stairs, accompanied by a cacophony of breaking glass, and a bout of trooper-like swearing from the two CC, who obviously saw the end of their private enterprise for that day!