PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices’ impressive US Class D towers
Old 6th Jan 2008, 09:48
werbil

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I can confirm that I have not heard any aircraft being denied access to the YBHM zone in recent times - it has been a long time since I have heard a "remain outside controlled airspace" call from YBHM tower. One controller (who I have not heard for many, many months) was notorious for this call. The actual restrictions depend on the controller - if we have the traffic picture we can usually guess the clearance depending on whose voice we hear.

However, given the cloud base today (around 1000' to 1500') I would be very surprised if any VFR aircraft in the zone maintained the required distance from cloud for their whole flight. Even in float planes we like height when flying over rough water, bumming along at 500' under a 1500' cloud base is just poor airmanship IMHO. If SVFR clearances were requested I suspect that at least some of these aircraft would have had to hold outside the zone.

The last time I received the "clearance not available, remain outside controlled airspace" call was when a MLJ was about to fly through the zone. I ended up in the same G airspace that the MLJ had to cross as it entered the zone.

I don't think any local VFR pilot has any real issues with the way access to the zone is handled at the moment. The two tower closures during the day create some confusion. The busiest time of the day for movements is after the tower closes at the end of the day when everyone is returning home.