PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lawyers: 480000000, General Aviation: 0
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2001, 04:06
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to own a C-185 and my first job was flying one in the mountains of PNG. I had approval to carry out initial tailwheel endorsements on the type and I've yet to see the instruction to wind in FULL nose up trim on finals! The C185 has a stabilator, which means the whole horizontal flying surface trims, not just a little tab.

This individual was landing in a cross wind with high trees bordering the upwind side of the flight strip, surely a recipe for a little windshearing/swirling etc.

He should have been doing a wheeler landing in those conditions(subjective I know) but instead tries a 3 pointer and almost ground loops....pours on the coals for a go-around and roars back into the air with FULL nose up trim.....and stalls

WELL WHAT THE FARK DO YOU EXPECT!!!!!

Name me ONE aeroplane that wouldn't if you launched yourself with FULL NOSE UP TRIM.

Even given that configuration the elevator still has full authority around whatever trim datum the stab is set to so quick action on the trim wheel while applying lots of force to the wheel would rescue that situation.

If both front seats were in the same relative position then he almost certainly had his seat set too far back, unless he is very tall indeed, and that being the case would have been struggling to have full control of the rudder and reach easily the trim wheel(on the floor beside the flap handle.)

Did he dump the flaps as soon as he was airborne, that would have reduced the nose-up pitching moment somewhat? while he re trimmed.

Sounds to me like not the best trained pilot(as far as the specific characteristics of that aircraft) applying not the best technique
to the given situation and not coping with the result of his ignorance.

Cessna should sue him for destroying one of the best aeroplanes Cessna ever thought up!!

Chuck.