PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avgas/mogas
Thread: Avgas/mogas
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2008, 19:54
JOE-FBS

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
There are various threads on Prune and in "another place" about how appalling out of date current production Lycoming and Continental GA engines are so I won't revisit that theme.

One important safety point, hinted at in the post above, which should be made clear to anyone wanting to swap fuels without due care and attention. Apart from the valve system wear issue of zero lead gasoline, which is at least slow in its effects so may not kill you, it is important to realise that pump fuel is not pure gasoline and different fuel mixes have different additives which may cause rapid and potentially catastrophic failures in items such as seals and diaphragms. By way of example, back in the early nineties, I was involved with developing an engine for Brazil where the fuel has a very high alcohol content (80% ethanol IIRC). We had test bed fires when pressure regulator diaphragms designed for US / Europe gasoline burst after exposure to Brazilian high alcohol fuel. I have been out of the car business for a few years now but believe that European road gasoline has a percentage (10% ? ) of alcohol these days.