PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2008, 18:53
jayteeto

Location: Liverpool based Geordie, so calm down, calm down kidda!!
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Courtney, I am glad you have told us your history. It actually makes it easier to accept that you are 'entitled' to be listened to by your credibility and experience. The rules may be absurd and they may have needed a change. However the fact is that they were in place to protect people who were not around to defend themselves. They WERE in place and the rules are the rules, even if they are stupid (in your view). If Jon was your student, then good on you, you helped to train and develop a good pilot and a smashing bloke out of work too. You should be proud.
Many things in law are disputed by different parts of society. Drugs, human rights, speed limits, breathalyser limits etc etc. That said, we operate within the laws at the time and you can't deviate from that whatever your views. A cockpit voice recorder could easily have put this case to bed years ago. But there wasn't a one there. Jon and Rick could have been reckless, then again there could have been a malfunction. Whatever the answer, even if it is only a 1% chance, we can't be SURE. Even if this was to happen to YOU, right NOW and us knowing your views on the 'rules'. The aviation community would give you the benefit of the doubt. We have to!!! Now you can come out with a smart retort I'm sure, but I don't mind. Enjoy your views, as I said in private to JP, you are totally entitled.