PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many of us are also RC pilots?
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2002, 20:56
John Farley

Do a Hover - it avoids G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Chaps. .. .As for teaching yourself I reckon any licensed pilot should be able to do it IF they first get a PC R/C simulation and stick at that (40 hours ish for me) and get to the point where they never move the ailerons the wrong way, before trying it with a real model. I did not care if I crashed the sim for any reason other than a reverse input as I figured I would take more care with a real model. . .. .I have always been a big one for talking to myself when flying real aeroplanes and I continued thus with the model. So I looked at it flying and issued continuous voice commands - as if it was a free flight model and I was wishing it to do something - “Go left, go left, go left” etc which I had no trouble getting correct regardless of which way it was flying. I found no trouble making my hands follow my voice commands so far as the sense of input was concerned.. .. .I eventually wrote off my first model (glider) after a year or so when I thought it was my side of an obstruction (a neighbours house) and was gobsmacked when it flew downwind at about 30 kts straight into the roof. Tremendous bang and then a bin liner job. But in many ways I felt it to be an honourable end compared to rolling the wrong way on finals!. .. .Regards