PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Formating a hard disk?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2008, 16:09
tony draper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Formating a hard disk?

How would I go about formating a hard disk that has a corrupted boot sector? the disk has XP pro on it but will no longer boot,it works ok as a slave, or rather it worked long enough as a slave long enough for me to copy the stuff I wanted across to the new disk ok.
From past experience I have formated corrupted hard disks reloaded the operating system and they went on to lead useful lives for a couple of years.
Tiz a 40 gig disk and not that old, but I know I cannot format it from a old windows rescue disk as I used to do when I was running win 98,as there does not seem to be the equivalent of a rescue disk with the format command for XP
A Greatfull for any help.
PS I have the Win XP pro upgrade cd,but it is not bootable,so I cannot use that, dunno if it even has the Format command on it,I also have Win 98SE that will format a disk but If I recall correctly refuses to do so because it reconns the operating system on the disk I want to wipe is a later version on windows than itself.
Why don't they leave things alone? formating a disc with the win98 rescue was easy peasy.