PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cabair + Bachelor
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2008, 13:08
Adios

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coldwing,

You asked if other schools do this. Oat's Integrated course includes a Foundation Degree in Air Transport Management from the same Uni that does the three year Modular fATPL with Bachelor's degree at Cabair, Buck's New Uni. I can't weigh up all the pros and cons for you, but here are a few thoughts.

A full Bachelor's is better than a Foundation degree, but the Oaties can top up to a Bachelor or Masters later while working.

Modular is usually a less expensive way to train, but when you turn it into three years of full time study with all the meal, accommodation and living expenses, you might as well do an integrated course. The price will be similar, but you'll finish the integrated Oat course in half the time and you could probably finish the Bachelor's top up in a year and still be where you'd be with Cabair, though most likely already with 9-12 months of working as an FO under your belt.

Finally, there's no extra charge for the FD on the Oat course, while the Cabair route adds Uni tuition to the cost. I suppose the Cabair route also adds the possibility of student loans to cover the Uni tuition fees though.

There will be many more things to consider, so a visit to both school's is probably the best way to discover all of the factors that you need to consider before making a decision. I would be very curious to know the total budget estimate for each of these routes. It is pretty well known that the Oat integrated course requires £75-80K, but can anyone post what the all-in cost, PPL to fATPL and Bachelor's Degree from Bucks New Uni on the Cabair Modular course is? Please include living expenses for the three years and during the PPL and Hours building as well. I suppose we'd also need to know what the Bachelor's topup costs on the Oat route to get a good comparison of the budgets. Finally, budget alone should not be the deciding factor, as each school has its own set of pros and cons and everybody needs to choose the school they think fits them best, not just the least expensive route from A to B.