PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ICAO Language Proficiency Tests
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2008, 12:18
planeenglish

Take me downwind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
China Northern Flight 6901

Yes, old, not bold, it is true. China Northern Flight 6901 was the flight mentioned in the article.

Also,The Chinese are one of the most advanced at the moment for getting ATC and pilots tested and trained. They are not all level four but they are making great passes in getting them there.
I would like to see the article in the RAeS and will do what I can to find it as I am not a member or subscriber.
As far as maintenance personnel is concerned it is not part of the ICAO standards and therefore, unfortunately has been pushed aside. We, as ICAEA, are looking into opening people's eyes on the subject more now that interest is gaining since the new pilot/atc standards have come about.
I've got some fantastic studies on English language problems in maintenance. Also, just look at the Aloha accident. It was documented after that accident that the mechanics couldn't understand the way the FAA had written the guidelines on rivet inspections (and perhaps the company ignored them a bit too) so now manuals are graded to a high school English level.
As ICAEA, I am planning on having a symposium of sorts here in Italy and I will focus on ALL aspects of aviation English not just pilot/controller communications. It doesn't do any good to ignore the safety factor in other areas as you so rightly mention here.
Cheers,
PE

Last edited by planeenglish; 5th Jan 2008 at 13:02.