PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Daily life in DXB
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2008, 02:42
Schnowzer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been at EK now for 8 years and these arguments still make me smile. I have been the vociferous defender of all that is right about EK, moved to the pragmatist but feel I may be about to become the cynic. I have sat there with crusty old Captains that shout all the time but fear I may slowly be becoming one.

When you first arrive, all you can see are the 5 star hotels, after about 3 years you can just see the sand in between. You get your command and things brighten up and then after another couple of years, you wonder how you can possibly spend the next 20 years in the sandpit and start digging a tunnel.

When I was at home all I wanted was a nice house to call my own, a couple of hols/year, a reasonable car and a bit of disposable income. On the family/friends front I wanted to see my mates reasonably often and the family as and when.

In Dubai, you can have a house but they all cost an arm and a leg. Right now you won't get much change out of $1.2m for a 4 bedroom family home. Guys then quote 'but you get free accommodation' and that is true. For me I struggle to imagine enjoying living in company accomodation except for financial reasons. I wouldn't live in company accom anywhere else in the world for all the tea in China. I still remember arriving and trying to turn the sand pit of the villa into grass.

Holidays are definitely doable but it is a struggle to get leave with your family and it is a struggle to get on flights. I realised that last year when I actually went on a summer holiday with my kids for the first time in 3 years. Most times I travel with the family I go confirmed to save the hassle but the tickets go so rapidly that unless you have a 4 month lead time getting them can be difficult. Standby works as an individual but not so well as a family. EK have a clever little trick where you get all the leave you want when you arrive but then it starts to go south.

Car's are cheaper for sure and I now have the same one I had in europe for $10,000 less. But... I don't get to see my mates or family that much, not a snag for me but eats away at the missus particularly when the rellys start poppoing their clogs.

As to disposable income, you can save a hell of a lot. Or you can choose where you live, travel to see the family, call home, go out occasionally, play golf occasionally etc etc. Not both! It is a choice between fiscal or more esoteric well being. The exchange rate has sucked 30% of my saving power since I arrived.

For guys coming in the future, you will have the same sort of choice. Some will be happy, particularly those that grade everything by the amount of cash they can save without regard to having a life. The guys that bought property in the past got in before the boom so prepare to pay even more for a life if it doesn't solely revolve around money.

I would have sworn I'd have been here for life when I joined. I went downhill as the command got delayed then uphill when promoted. For me that is the top of the ski slope and it is a hell of a long way down from there.

Schnowzer