PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine vibration
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2008, 01:03
Deathrow558

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine vibration

Ok, please stay with me. I work for an airline but not a pilot so be patient!
Right. One of our aircraft, a 757, suffered an engine failure the other day. It was just after t/o so they circled to burn fuel, landed within their max landing weights and all was well.
Anyway, I was in the office the day after and was listening to the chief pilot discussing it over the phone. I could understand almost none of what he was saying but I picked out something about they'd had a boroscope and then they did something else and got a vibration reading of 2.8 and that 2.5 was the legal limit....something like that.
I had a look through the MEL and could find nothing. Could someone shed some light on what they were saying?
From what I've heard so far the a/c will be AOG for about 12 weeks. Which makes it even harder for me to think what could have actually happened?
Makes it even worse to think one of the engines is brand new (not sure which...the bust one?? who knows), one of them is leased, at a cost of $4000 a day on top of $400 per hour to sit at SFB. And you know what they say...an aircraft on the ground makes all...but costs a TON!