PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who're the best pilots?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2002, 01:47
nzer

Unanswerable - each type of flying has it's own specific knowledge, skill, attitudes areas which can be used to make relative assessments within a group, but not across types of flying - and only a few gifted souls excel in one/more types of flying - they do exist and I have met them - for my money, the "best" pilots in any field of aviation are those with "eyes in the backs of their heads", ie, those who anticipate problems and thereby minimise them - and who remember that no matter how good you may think you are or others may tell you you are - the earth is always ready to rise amd smite you - in fact it could be argued the very concept of a "best" pilot is itself contrary to safety = complacency - we are all trying to be "the best" - and safety lies in the "trying" part - I guess that's what professionalism is about? So the "best" pilots are (maybe) those who in their chosen field of aviation always STRIVE to be the best knowing that as a specific goal that is not achievable, because no-one will ever know it all.