PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spitfire operated from USS WASP
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2000, 03:23
Captain Ed

Thumbs up Spitfire operated from USS WASP

I made a cruise aboard USS WASP in 1956, China Fleet area. I flew F2H'3's. I was just going over my cruise book, and I cam across an interesting item.

47 MK V's were loaded aboart the Wasp and ferried to Malta to help defend the place. They were equiped with an external tank to increase their range so Wasp and HMS Eagle would not have to go too far into the Med.

When they were in the extended range of malta, they launched the Spitfires. The first to go was Sargeant-Pilot Herrington, who died in a crash when his engine failed. The others took off in order, with USN F4F-3's flying CAP. One of the Spitfire pilots, Sargeant-Pilot "Butterfingers" Smith, accidentlly jettisoned his external tank. This meant he could either ditch, or try to land on the WASP. No tailhook, no carrier experience, he decided to try it. The Wasp went to full ahead, and Smith made it aboard, stopping 15' short of the end of the deck.

This occured on 9 May 1942. The Japs sunk this Wasp, but hey, we built another one. Happy ending.

Is this part of any British history? Anyone out there with more details?