PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avoiding an overrun: what should be trained?
Old 4th Jan 2008, 17:44
J.O.

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
The decision to continue the approach and landing was not the cause of this accident.It was the loss of stabilised flight in the flare and the subsequent lack of correct retardation procedures, which led to the deep landing and overrun.
skiesfull:

Accident prevention needs to look at all areas of potential improvement in pilot performance and decision making if it's ever going to be successful. I was not attempting to identify a cause. I was simply trying to point out what I see as a significant weakness in crew decision making when it comes to conducting an approach when the missed approach path may involve flight through hazardous wind shear conditions. Let's face it, a different decision regarding continuing the approach would have created a much different outcome, althought it also would have presented a new challenge to the crew in having to divert to another airport on pretty close to minimum fuel.

You make an interesting point about "captain's landing". Many operators (mine included) provide decision criteria as to when the captain is to carry out a takeoff or landing. We do not mention operations in the vicinity of severe weather, but it's certainly worth consideration.