PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - South Africa
Thread: South Africa
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2000, 11:16
Wedding Tackle

Unhappy

Constable ('alo, 'alo, 'alo, wot 'av we 'ere),

New an older pommy guy a few years back (late 1980's)that had his arm rebroken and set and when I asked in gods name why, said he broke it in a jump in the middle east (jump? I ask). Confessed to have been a para in the 50's and broke it on impact and had it subsequently badly set, deemed no longer fit for para ops (a lance corporal), got sent to garrison ops at a regular unit, got the sh!ts and migrated to Oz. Claimed to have been with Hoare and affectionately referred to him as Mad Mike, reckons the endearment originated in the British Army, because the guy was as mad as a cut snake (pardon the Oz vernacular).I assumed he was referring to the paras but he may have been referring to regular infantry.

For what its worth I have never set foot in Africa, but I am a serving military officer and a couple of uncles were Sandhurst British Army WWII. After the war one lived in Zambia then Rhodesia (my Dad almost migrated to E Africa in the late 60's to join him). My Uncle (now an athletics coach)bolted back to the UK when Mugabe's 'Shona, Nkomo's Matabele and the elected govt started the three way shooting gallery. Also know a few chaps Army and Air Force that fought and flew for the losing side and live here. Finally I know (knew, he's disapeared living o'seas I think) someone that was on the ground (employed)when the fiasco at the airport was going down (Seychelles). Say g'day to Hansie for me.

Cheers

[This message has been edited by Wedding Tackle (edited 03 May 2000).]