PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do ATPL exam marks matter?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2008, 17:03
MonsterC01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darkblue, unfortunetly your degree won't make any differance in determining whether or not you'll get a job, or even whether or not you'll get an interview. I did my degree back in the nineties, in economics. At the time companies in the states were starting to insist that pilot applicants have a degree to apply. Like many i believed it was only a matter of time before Australian aviation went the same way. Wouldn't you know it, ten years on and that scenario never eventuated. Infact i probably would've been better off if i'd done something i was actually interested in like an electrical apprenticeship, or LAME lic.

Not to sure what the Australian GA scene is like now but back when i finished my flying training first jobs were still harder to come by than a blonde without a boob job on the Gold Coast. Chief Pilots were only interested in one thing, finding young guys that would sell their souls and do exactly what they were told for the chance to wash one of their planes let alone actually getting to fly it. Most of these guys took one look at the degree on my CV and decided i was one of these over educated coastie types that will stick around to get 1001 hours then book out. In the end I actually took the degree off my CV. It wasn't any bit of paper from Uni or anything written on my CV that got me my first job, it was being the first guy at the office door in the morning, every morning.

ATPL is much the same, no one really cares how you got it, just that it's your name on the licence. One word of advice thou, if you have the time do the course. Nathan Higgin's at Advanced Flight Training is a Guru, and you'll actually end up getting thru the exams alot quicker than if you self study them one at a time. I did some self study and some with Nathan, and it was ALOT less painfull doing them with Nathan at AFT.

Hope it helps bloke. All the Best.