PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA and BALPA already agreed on EU 757 Pilots
Old 4th Jan 2008, 11:25
idol detent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys don't seem to get it - The vast majority of applicants (for FO at least) have no interest in joining if being on the seniority list means a hugely slowed progress to command due to secondments.
Er, it's not about how potential applicants feel that is at issue here. It's about future jobs of the current pilots that is being argued. One only needs to look at Qantas v Jetstar or Click v Iberia to see where this might lead the T&Cs of the current pilots. There is no altruism here. It's about preventing the greedy LT in BA from outsourcing our work by the back door.

We are (relatively) happy to see PL on lower pay and different terms, but the work has to stay with 'mainline' crew on the master seniority list.

Notwithstanding the lack of altruism, PL applicants will benfit as they will have the right to work anywhere else in BA with all the financial and BidLine benefits that we now enjoy. I bet you that every applicant to Lauren will, if we get our way, move to LHR after their freeze is up. And I bet you that they will be glad they did. I reckon that there will also be a small number of LHR/LGW pilots that will bid to work for PL for either command or because the European bases suit their lifestyle.

Make no mistake-BA will siphon off work from mainline to PL if BALPA loses this fight. As an industry, do we all aspire to the lowest denominator, or should pilots who enjoy the best T&Cs in the UK just sit back and count our Ferraris whilst we can still afford them?

It is amazing to see how some BA pilots cannot conceive of why anyone wouldn't want to be in BA - but believe me, it is very much so.
Eh? I couldn't give a flying fig whether you, him or them over there, join BA. It's your individual choice. For what it's worth, I have nothing but respect for the pilots of all other operators (well, nearly all ). Your post suggests that we think we are some sort of elite. Well, nothing could be further from reality. We are fortunate to be in the position of (probably) enjoying the best T&Cs in the UK if not Europe. That does not mean we think we are 'better' than you. I sincerely hope that other airlines improve your lot-and more power to your elbow in achieving it!
Your last sentence looks like sour grapes to me-did you apply and fail?

Oh, and if you are right about not getting enough applicants due to command time, then I guess BA will have to improve the T&Cs of Lauren. Somehow, I think they will get enough people through the door.

ATB

ID