PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOPA claim 70% drop out rate
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2008, 10:02
Rod1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
“but it appears many in the LAA land seem to want to dis-associate and let it all die.”

I do not think this is really the case. The LAA want less regulation, less cost and to get more pilots into the sport. I do not think the LAA want the IFR end to die, or would encourage this to happen as a deliberate policy. We see growth in real recreational flying for fun. We have the advantage of much lower cost for the same or better capability for VFR flight. In time we may get IFR, but that is another story. The PFA has renamed itself to the Light Aircraft Association in an attempt to appeal to the majority of the GA community.

The strips are not “no go arrears” for C of A aircraft. I fly from 600m of well drained grass; this is soon to be extended to 725m. The runway is longer, wider and better drained than two of the near by licensed airfields. The point I was trying to make is that with strips growing in number every year there are more places to land, not less. Popom is not licensed, but it is a thriving aviation community where C of C aircraft fly alongside permit and micro types. I see licensed airfields becoming more Popom like, not closing down.

The other advantage of strips keeping pilots flying is convenience. Because there are so many around you will probably find one much closer to home than you local licensed airfield. I am now 13 miles from my aircraft (by car), I was 47. As the strip has no restrictions I can fly in the summer until quite late and this will more than make up for loosing some time in the winter.

“In a unified EASA world all the rules will be the same - controlled French airspace would operate the same rules as the UK”

I hope that was a joke. I do a huge amount of business in Europe. The French may sign up to the same rules as us but we implement them to the letter and the French ignore the ones they do not like. GA in French regional airports will survive far longer than in the UK.

“Do you really want all the mid sized airfields to close?”

I am not sure what a mid size airfield is. If you mean a regional airport, then they are doing very well, but are going to kick GA out, which is a big threat for PPL IR as 24 hour operation with full approach aids is what is really required if you have to fly. If you mean the small club airfields, then I hope these will adapt and continue.

Rod1