PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ICAO Language Proficiency Tests
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2008, 05:26
planeenglish

Take me downwind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all,
Hi Captain 87, yes, it's me.
dartagnan says the best way to get to level 4 proficiency is by living in an English speaking country (I urge my students to find a girlfriend or boyfriend that is a monolingual English speaker-it works every time. Level four in less than a year!). I say it may be the most efficient way but beware that living in one of these places is a good way to improve your colloquial language and proficiency but one must not forget a structured course in English. Unfortunately we "expert speakers" don't always use the best methods for communication. It is useless for a level one to live in these countries without having any instruction first or upon arrival. Not understanding ANYTHING will lead to frustration and will just make the learning process much more difficult.
I've got students that do, in fact, reach level 4 proficiency having never stepped foot in an English speaking country. I also suggest taking your ATPL course in English. This is a great way to use and learn the vocabulary and improve structure and overall proficiency. Oxford Aviation's cd roms (I am not paid by OAT) for PPL are now graded for helping English as a second language (ESL) students understand. They even have a record function to help you with pronunciation.
Hi Farrell, no he's not my bunny rabbit he's my Guinea Pig. Unfortunately here in JAA land one must choose between teaching and testing and I have been given the testing hat by default. I love teaching and can only do so for those students I had before this new rule came into effect or military. It's a perfectly understandable rule, an ethical one. I really miss teaching though.
Lastly, dartagnan, who said you were level 4? Which test did you take?

PA-28-180 , Roger, howerver I can't open the file. Can you re-send?
Thanks to all,
PE