PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does block time buying and building improve chances of getting a Job?
Old 3rd Jan 2008, 23:01
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scooby79

I won't comment on the PA34 price as I don't have one of those for lease but the short answer to the question is that you can't get a Cessna 152 in the UK for £35 wet and I doubt if you could get one that you would wan't to fly in the USA for that price.

The problem is that you are only looking at the headline price of a C152 in the USA vs the UK price, for people in the UK there are more costs to take into account to get to and stay in the USA and these have to be added to the cost of the aircraft.

If you take a typical 50 hour block of C152 time in Florida and then add the cost of the airline ticket, cheap hotel room (but not slum), Medical insurance (a must in the USA) and a little for ground transport you will find that the cost of the whole package is almost the same as renting one of my C152's.

The last time I did the numbers (about 3 months ago) I was £0.82/hour cheaper but this will price will move up and down a little with the £/$ rate.

The important thing about hour building is to do the numbers realisticly and include all the costs and weigh the risks, a number of companys in the USA won't refund if you don't get all the flying done over the agreed time, I will refund without question if more than 75% of the time has been used and refund more in the case of bad weather.

My calculations also take into account the costs of landing and parking fees, what I have not done is included tax drawback if you fly abroad, a few trips to France can reduce the cost to well below the cost in the USA.