PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lockhart River - CASA/ATSB Review Announced
Old 3rd Jan 2008, 22:11
Diatryma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Justiceseeker

I could take issue with a number of the points you make (for example your involvement from two days before the accident??? ) - but its not productive.

I'm sure you are well aware of the CACL Act etc... but comments on this and other forums, and in various media since this accident occurred show that there are many who have no clue and are looking to take a swipe at the insurer (as is a common pastime these days). This is not only wrong, but distracts from where the focus should be - on determining what caused the accident, what could have been done to prevent it, and what can be learned to improve safety.

I agree that the CACL Act is not always fair - especially when it comes to accidents involving fatalities. But its what we have to work with! Hopefully the Montreal Convention will be finally ratified this year which should improve this slightly.

Don't get me started on the system of victims getting compensation for aviation accidents. I agree its all wrong. The only winners at the end of the day are the legal fraternity. Wouldn't it be refreshing for a claimant to approach an insurer direct, ask for a reasonable settlement, the insurer not appointing a lawyer either and the matter being settled amicably for a fair and just amount? Well it just doesn't work like that, and I can't see a simple solution.

Tailwheel - good to know we are in good hands.

Cheers,

Di