PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Officer Windsor anyone?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2008, 19:51
rudekid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spheroid

Rudekid, you clearly don't understand the role of the Monachry.
No, I agree with you. I have no idea of their role But if you mean the monarchy, then I'm still not 100% with you either.

Now let's both assume that I'm not knocking the Royal family here, nor Her Majesty and her role as head of state, but let's be realistic. This decision will be a service decision, probably taken (I hazard a guess) by CAS, with guidance from AOC 22 or maybe the Air Sec. Of course, HRH Lt Wales could wear whatever he wants and none would challenge him except in anonymous forums like these. Of course that's not likely either, as by all accounts, he is a bright, thoughtful individual who wouldn't want to irritate his service colleagues by demeaning them nor their awards from his grandmother. So really then, it boils down to the RAF awarding them to him.

Granted, this is all good PR for the RAF (I don't disagree) but given that we have already been told there's a short timescale for HRH to get a taste of all things RAF, then it strikes me as a fairly easy question for the CAS to ask. Can I award him his wings based on what we can give him in condensed timeframe? The answer to this question (IF posed) won't be answered negatively by any 2*, so we know the end outcome. HRH will get awarded his wings and they will (in my opinion) be diminished.

I would bet my mortgage that 22 SAS wouldn't reduce their criteria to award their 'badge' to a Royal (hat on standby for eating, house keys in post) if he hadn't passed selection.

If we (as a service) want him to wear them (and I don't think it's a bad thing) then WE should respect ourselves enough to honour those who wear them, those who've gone before and those yet to wear them. Put him through what everyone else does. Or accept we have little self respect.

Last edited by rudekid; 3rd Jan 2008 at 19:53. Reason: don't banter spelling and then spell like a biff!