PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2008, 18:01
Brian Dixon
A really irritating PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Courtney,
The rules are absurd, it's your turn to answer the question fellas, what were they doing there?
Why are the rules absurd?

By the use of the word 'there' I'll assume that you mean the point of impact. Hope you don't mind me doing that, but assumptions appear to be acceptable in this particular incident.

OK, here's my best shot...
3.20pm - Chinook ZD576 returns from the morning taskings to RAF Aldergrove. The reported problem with the RNS252 navigation equipment cannot be replicated on the ground.

3.40pm - Turnaround service carried out on ZD576.

5.30pm - Yachstman sailing off the coast of the Mull states he can clearly see the lighthouse and white perimiter wall. Visibility estimated to be "certainly in excess of three miles and possibly five miles".

5.42.pm - Chinook ZD576 departs RAF Aldergrove.

5.46pm - Radio transmission from ZD576 confirms departure and states on route to Inverness.

5.55pm - ZD576 attempts to contact Scottish Military Air Traffic Control, "Scottish Military, Good Afternoon this is F4J40." The call went unanswered.

5.55pm - Just after the shipping forecast on the radio, the yachtsman reported observing ZD576 flying well below cloud in a straight line and at level altitude. He further stated that he observed sunlight glinting off the fuselage of the aircraft. On the weather at the time, he commented that "There was certainly low cloud sticking to the coast, but it was not sufficient to cover the lighthouse."

5.56pm (approx) - Waypoint change was made on the SuperTANS, moving from waypoint A (Lighthouse) to waypoint B (Corran). Usual procedure was for both pilots to indicate, and agree, that they had seen the waypoint prior to any changes being made. Why then, following decisive action by the pilots, do they not follow on with that course of action? Why do they not turn the aircraft to follow the new waypoint after going through the motions of inputting it? I don't know, do you?

5.58:55pm - The SuperTANS performed a computation which calculated the alttude, but not aircraft position. Altitude was given as 665ft + 50ft.

5.59:10pm - The SuperTANS navigation equipment powered down. Presumably at the time of the accident.

So, they ended up crashing into the Mull because they ignored a decisive action that they, themselves took. Or was it because the spring came loose, or detached in flight, prior to impact (as the AAIB could not rule out). Oh, hang on. Was it because of a problem with the aircraft (which was well known throughout the fleet at the time), or maybe the navigation fault from the earlier sortie recurred. Perhaps two highly trained Special Forces pilots simply ignored all their training, forgot the environment that both of them knew extremely well, ignored the protestations of their crewmen and simply decided to see if a Chinook could go through solid landmass.

Thinking about it, I can't be entirely sure, with absolutely no doubt whatsoever, so it would be unwise to pick one option and state categorically 'that is why they ended up where they did'. Bigger brains than me have tried, and they can't agree either. Sorry.

For the record, I am here by the good grace of all at PPRuNe Towers. it is their train set, not mine.

Feel free to ask awkward questions. I do frequently of the MoD. They find it difficult to answer on occasion too.

Wrathmonk - Thank you for your kind words.
Chugalug 2 - Thank you also for the recognition of my natural talent. I knew it would come in handy one day!

Kind regards,
Brian

"Justice has no expiry date" - John Cook