PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOPA claim 70% drop out rate
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2008, 12:54
denhamflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rod1 you make some interesting observations about the success of the smaller end of the market.

It is a completely different game at that end. The simplest comparison I can make is the boating industry. There are thousands of "Water Sports" enthusiasts that rent/own small water craft from jet skis to small power boards. Mostly this can be transported easily and dont require marina facilities. They keep a whole load of people employed and it is a significant industry. However it is essentially completely separate from the Marina based craft that do most of the touring and the "Water Sports" craft do not contribute significantly to its a marina's upkeep. The larger boats fund this infrastructure. This is the analogy of GA. The "farm strip" Very Light Aircraft flying can survive without the key infrastructure of aerodromes and I wish it every success in this.

However unless we keep the equivalent business that marina's get for the aerodromes then slowly and surely the ability to fly and utilise larger aircraft will disappear. This is not just IFR flying but VFR with passengers. and more importantly could reduce the hangarage available for all aircraft especially the non-metal classic aircraft ( no I dont mean composites..) .

I think this would be a disaster for our country and for any of us who like to fly further afield.

Ironically I think we are about to enter a new age of flying with the advent of aircraft like the skycatcher with Glass panels and comfortable seats. I know lots of people who tried but did not continue because the the antiquated aircraft this industry has for training. I know our local flying school has placed orders already... I just hope it does not collapse before we can get more people into "proper" flying