PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 25 years of holding at Williamtown
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2008, 23:10
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Showa Cho, you state:

- please do not belittle the controllers in the RAAF (or anywhere else) about performing their job.
My suggestion is that you read my initial post again. I stated:

In my experience, our military controllers are as good as any in the world. It is just that they are totally let down by people who move up into management positions and should therefore be updating the rules.
You refer to the restrictions because the airspace is Class C. In fact the Government has a policy to move to the North American NAS. You will find that under NAS in North America, the separation “standards” are completely different. For example, where there is one radar head being used (which is the situation at Williamtown) the separation “standard” between IFR and VFR is “green in between” or “target resolution.” Also the dimensions of the NAS Class C are 5 miles at low level, not 24 miles.

There is absolutely no doubt that if the people in the military in Canberra made the decisions as they have promised, and followed Government policy, there would be no need for holding at Williamtown.

Once again, I’m not blaming the controllers. Just 10 days ago I flew through the Williamtown airspace and I think the “A team” must have been operating. A Virgin aircraft was coming in from the north and I was not held. The Virgin aircraft was asked to remain 1 mile from the coast and I was not delayed. It just shows that by either using the existing procedures correctly, or by the “bosses” introducing procedures that are more modern than the 1950s, that aircraft can be handled without unnecessary delays and costs.