PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 40+ and pilot job in africa
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2008, 22:56
jnignon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
40+ and pilot job in africa

hello guys,

After reading a lot of post on the forum about age and pilot job i decided to finally give flight training a go. The thing is I'm curently a license engineer in the US and work for a nice maintance company and I'm 38 years old. Securing a loan to cover my training will not be a problem. I figure it will take me little over a year to finish my cpl with about 250 hours and I will be closing in on 40 years. Beeing from africa I really want to fly down there specialy in Nigeria. However, I also know that in africa age is very important to most H/R folks. Basically older people dont really get lot of opportunities for jobs. A pilot job will be even more difficult to get.
By the way the company I work for right now has a charter department and the chief pilot told me he will give me a try once I'm done. we fly turbo props and light jets. But as I said before africa is really where my heart is right now. I was going to move back there anyway to look for an engineer job before i decided to pursue this childhood dream.
So i dont know, hopefully some nice company will look past my age and give me a chance. Well if it all fell at least I can still remain an engineer.