PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 25 years of holding at Williamtown
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2008, 22:13
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Ftrplt, no, it is not

a piss-ant little issue
The unnecessary holding is costing our industry money and reducing safety. The costs don’t affect me personally, however the extra costs do affect general aviation businesses that cannot afford them.

Atlas Shrugged, no I have not experienced an engine failure in the precise way you have described. However, how does our uncontrolled airspace work under these circumstances? As we have lots of airline aircraft operating in uncontrolled airspace, and as they can all experience an engine failure on take off, there obviously has to be a system in place which stops them from colliding with other aircraft when having an engine failure.

When you consider the situation I described at Williamtown, if there was an engine failure the aircraft in the lane would hear the departing aircraft report an engine failure. Surely the pilot of the aircraft in the lane would look out and avoid the aircraft with the engine failure. It is called a traffic information service – it is the basis of all of our movements in uncontrolled airspace, including IFR movements in cloud.

Ozbiggles, my post was not a

wide spread criticism of a large group of defence people.
My post was a very directed criticism of a small group of “no decision makers” in Canberra. Surely if they change their minds on a decision they have promised, they should at least have the ethics and the guts to say so and explain why. They haven’t done this.

I’ll say it again. I have been told clearly by senior defence people of a number of changes they are planning. These changes have never come in, and there has never been an explanation of why. I consider that not only leads to competency comments, but comments on basic ethics. I think you will find that there are real problems with a certain group of people in the military hierarchy in Canberra. As I have mentioned before, just look at the scandals and incompetence of the defence purchasing.