PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - Wannabes & Recruitment III
Old 2nd Jan 2008, 19:01
VS-LHRCSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
essjay7

When BA bought Dan-Air in 1991 (for £1) Barbara Cassani stressed in no uncertain terms that although rebranded BA (known as European Operations Gatwick - EOG, or EuroGatwick), the short haul operation would remain a subsidiary. If Dan-Air couldn't make money, BA certainly wouldn't, with the higher costs of the mainline terms and conditions.

This was very different to the integration of British Caledonian and British Airtours, whose crew were merged into existing BA crew seniority lists, with terms and conditions honoured.

EuroGatwick has made some headway over the years in becoming more "mainline" if you will. They were merged with BA Cityflyer in 2003(?) to become EuroFleet LGW. In 2006, the existing mainline WW fleet at LGW was disbanded, with most crew being sent to LHR. The long haul routes were then given to EuroFleet LGW to operate and thus became Single Fleet LGW. They have since become part of the NSP which means that there will be a proper system for transfer to other fleets in the coming years.

My belief that this has not happened sooner as that the company has had no legal obligation to integrate what was Dan-Air into mainline. The agreement was ratified in 1991 after the acquisition by the company and the unions. A contract is a contract and pressure from unions can't really change that unless the company agree to it after looking at other considerations, like crew morale. Like I said, this is my belief and I am open to correction on this.